Tuesday 1 May 2007

A game of fate

It was a warm Sunday afternoon. Most people were at home…either inside to avoid the hot sun…or outside bathing in it. It was the kind of weather that made you feel lethargic and sleepy, and so, the roads where almost empty.

Due to an intense argument with my mother, I had decided to go for a drive in my car to calm myself down. I drove aimlessly for a long time and when I felt that my blood pressure had returned back to normal, I decided to head back home.

As I stopped for a red traffic light, I lay my head back against my seat and enjoyed a moment of peace and quiet. It wasn’t long-lived. A red convertible, with music blasting and shattering the silence, turned a corner and stopped in the lane next to mine. I turned my head in annoyance to see who the culprit was and my eyes rested on a beautiful stranger.

He caught my gaze and the world turned upside down. I blinked and willed myself to look away. That’s when I noticed the other occupant of the car. A female…as beautiful as him. With his eyes still on me, he leaned over towards his passenger and said something in her ear which made her laugh. He then sat back and smiled at me…I didn’t smile back. Instead, I revved my engine. His smile deepened and I knew that he had understood. Starring straight ahead, I put my car into gear and waited for the light to change. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his do the same.

Red…Amber…Green!

Feet pressed down hard on the acceleration peddle, and both cars shot forward…the race began. I knew that in half a mile, the two lanes would join into one. I was determined to get there first. As we both picked up speed, I hoped that no police vans were around because we were exceeding the limit by a great deal.

He was good…but so was I.

Our cars remained almost level…Each pulling ahead from second to second by a short distance. As we sped down the road, I felt all the previous tension due to my argument with my mother leave my body. I was flying.

We approached the end of the lanes together. At the very last second, it was he who braked to prevent the collision of our cars…he allowed me to go first. I won!

I raised my eyes to the review mirror and looked straight into his. He was smiling and laughter escaped from between my lips. Tilting my head to one side, I stuck my tongue out at him and this time, it was he who laughed.

I felt extremely happy. I experienced a peace of mind and soul that I haven’t felt for a long time. In that moment, I vowed that when I return home, I would hug my mother, apologize, and tell her how much I love her.

Still laughing, I turned my gaze towards his passenger. She didn’t look impressed. The expression on her face was one of irritation, and her eyes were throwing daggers in my direction. Not caring that I was annoying her, I turned my attention back to him and blew him a kiss via my review mirror. He laughed again and blew a kiss back.

I was too busy smiling at him…too entranced by his eyes…to notice the truck pulling out onto the road a short distance away from me.

I suddenly saw his expression change. His eyes widened and a look of horror entered his face. His lips mouthed a warning that I did not hear. I felt a sudden, deep coldness inside. I finally returned my eyes onto the road, and that’s when I saw the truck.

My foot slammed against the brakes as shock seized my entire body. I knew that I was going too fast to be able to stop in time. Terrible fear gripped my heart and I closed my eyes. I didn’t want to die. A picture of my mothers’ angry and hurt face flashed before my eyes. I felt sad.

The impact was devastating…there was absolutely no chance…of survival.

24 comments:

Kitten said...

What are ur thoughts regarding destiny and fate? Read my post on Destiny and let me know...

http://huda85.blogspot.com/

Morty said...

First I hope that everything is all right.
Second nice blog-spot it.
Third u really shouldn't do such thing if not for your sake then for others sake I say so cause I've been there and I know how it feels when hit by speed racers.

Kitten said...

kyubai...

Thank u for ur comment. Everything is fine thanks for asking and i hope all is well with u too.

I would just like to point out that this is a piece of fiction. It did not happen in reality...just a piece of creative writing. i am well aware of the risks associated with speed and i wouldnt even DREAM of doing that in real life...its just a story...

I apologise sincerely if i brought back bad memories...

take care of urself :)

Morty said...

Hmmm “Feeling REALLY STUPID and trying to hold face”
I knew that “trying to lie my way out of this”
I’m not that dump “lying again I am that dump and may be dumperer”

Please don’t apologize for bringing back memories since what really was damaged in the accident is my poor bicycle since I was walking it across the street (although I sometimes think what would have happened if I was on the other side of the bicycle) and again I guess that I as an Iraqi I tend to worry a lot…;D.

zmanutdz said...

Nice kitten, but it was very apparent that this was a work of fiction.

First, how an earth can a kitten drive and race another car? Huh? If that was not enough to tell me that all of this has been the product of your imagination.

Second, kittens driving and racing is a remote possibility but ' turned my attention back to him and blew him a kiss via my review mirror.' had a zero chance of coming out of that same kitten on Caesar of Pentra's wall.

Third, ' warm Sunday afternoon ' and you live in the UK, no chance , lol.

Kitten said...

kyubai...

lol...obviously u KNEW that..u were just teasing me really ;) :p

And im sorry about ur bicycle...but im glad ur ok :)

Kitten said...

zmanutdz

1st...never underestimate the abilities of a kitten ;)

2nd...looool! Hey, im not that bad...ehm...im not an OGRE u know! And if i had been racing with a gorgous stranger, who had a beauty sat next to him (who most likely doesnt deserve him)...i MIGHT consider blowing him a kiss...who knows...:p

3rd...suprisingly we'v been having really warm days in the uk! Nothing compared to the temperatures of our eastern countries, but for the uk...the sky was clear, the sun was out, and every1 was wearing t-shirts and strap tops! Thats very warm for us...:)

Last but not least..thank u for ur comment...x (and one small kiss just to shock u a bit...lol) :p

ahmed said...

This is how the story ends, I was digging in by bathroom when I found this manuscript:

"At this moment, Super Imam Saddam Hussein (Aaleehi al Salam and Radhi Allah Anhu and Peace Upon Him) showed up from the sky, he was flying at me with incredible speed, his cape, made from the skins of dead Shiites and Kurds, was red except for a single sad eye in the middle , he had a moustache as burning as hell, and he hurled his ass-hole in the direction of the truck and let loose a strong and lethal injection of Carbon Monoxide, and Metahne, carefully preparaed by Dr. Chemical Ali back in the safe laborotary that hides below Super Saddam's chateau in Tikrit, the truck exploded immeidately and then Saddam screamed like he was in Frank Miller comic book: INFIDEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

ahmed said...

Saddam then turned at me smiling, and said: "Never drive without one of these, he gave me a special Owja watch, with an invisible wavelength at the click of button, he will come to my aid.

Owja Airbag(TM), cuz you never know when the Shiites will stir up Shiit.

Anonymous said...

compelling peace of writing, u could be a pro.

Kitten said...

No comment Konfused Kid...

Kitten said...

Thank u for ur sweet words Mr/Miss Anonymous...:)

A. Damluji said...

"..as fate would have it, the truck driver managed to swerve at the final moment, and hit the red convertible head-on"

:D

keep it up, i say!

Kitten said...

lol anarki...

actually i never thought of that possibility...interesting...:)

Thanks for ur support sweety

yoyoyo said...

I really love your style, first I read you a poem, and now this post, I was enjoying it with a smile from the begining till the picture of the angry mother where I felt a shiver take over my body, It's so fantastic and effective, keep it up.

Kitten said...

Thank u m.h.z

I really appreciate ur sweet comments and encouragement. im flattered :)

Anonymous said...

Our Eyes Dream Acid Tears

One land, one people, all asleep
one dream in every mind
all see words of scripture, captive
in a vise of hatred, crushed
distorted words of God, acid
tears, his screaming lips, the captor
feels the kiss of Satan
on his heart.

Kitten said...

Anonymous

Hmmm...that has a lot of meanings...

Kitten said...

Anonymous

One can purify ones heart from such a kiss...

Replace the hatred with peace.
Replace the distortion with faith.
Replace the scream with silence...

Caesar of Pentra said...

Ladies and Gentelmen..
Lemme introduce you.. Our lovely young novelist, Miss Kitten! ;P

Have you heard "Karma Police" by RADIOHEAD?

Kitten said...

Caesar

yes i have actually...y???

Confessions of a Malamute said...

finally got to looking at your blog. You have a good writing style. Could make it as a novelist for sure. Quite impressed. I'll be checking back to this blog to see what you get up to writing wise.

Dat Guy ! said...

Hey!

I've left blogging..but, I still read them.

You replied to my "Hello Kitty" I think.

Umm...How did I miss that?? Anyway, if and when I return to blogging, I'll tuck you up in my links. You seem like a nice, cuddly, Kitty. Every Blog should have a link to kittish-stuff, right?

Take care, and feel free to jump over to my blog, anytime...

spank* (stay tuned)...

res~~(in camo)

Kitten said...

Thank u Malamute :)

Res...lol...will do...thank u too :)